Bacterial infection can become worse when no treatment plan is followed. Thus, it is important to treat the bacterial infection as soon as possible. To treat this type of infection, Cefuroxime Axetil 500 mg is used. This medication is called cephalosporin antibiotic. It is helpful in stopping the growth of bacteria. This medication is not used to treat viral infections, such as flu and cold. Continue reading this blog to know more about this medication:
What is Cefuroxime used for?
Cefuroxime is a cephalosporin antibiotic that fights against the bacteria in the body. The tablets are used for treating several bacterial infections that include life-threatening forms. The medication is available in the form of liquid suspension. The infection can be caused by bacteria such as gonorrhea, Lyme disease, bronchitis, and several infections in the sinuses, ears, skin, urinary tract, and tonsils. Cefuroxime comes under the class of drugs known as cephalosporin antibiotics. Thus, tab Cefuroxime 500mg can be taken to treat these types of bacterial infections.
How to Use Cefuroxime Axetil?
- If you are experiencing a bacterial infection, you need to take this medication by mouth two times a day or as suggested by your doctor.
- You can consume this medication with food to maximize absorption and minimize stomach upset. The dosage of the medicine will be based on your medical condition.
- It is advisable not to chew or crush Cefuroxime Axetil 500 mg because it has a bitter taste.
- If you find it difficult to swallow the tablet, then it is recommended to use the liquid form of this medication.
- You can use this medication every day at the same time.
- Continue taking this medication until the prescribed amount is finished. If you stop consuming this medicine too early, it may allow bacteria to grow, which may result in severe infection.
What are the Side Effects of Cefuroxime?
The following are some side effects that you may experience by consuming Cefuroxime:
- It has been reported that some people experience side effects such as diarrhea, vomiting, or nausea.
- A few people who are allergic to penicillin may be allergic to cephalosporin. Therefore, it is advisable that if you have ever had allergic reactions to antibiotics, then tell your doctor.
- Don’t exceed the consumption of tab Cefuroxime 500mg.
- Severe diarrhea can be caused by an overgrowth of bacteria, which is a possible side effect of almost all types of antibacterial agents, including Cefuroxime.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- What type of infection does Cefuroxime treat?
Cefuroxime is effective for all age groups to treat bacterial infections. Basically, the medication can treat various conditions, such as tonsils, strep throat, skin infections, Lyme disease, and infections in the throat and ears. However, this medication doesn’t work to treat viral infections, such as the flu or the common cold.
- Who should not take Cefuroxime?
Children younger than 3 months of age are not allowed to take Cefuroxime. People who are struggling with kidney disease must adjust the dosage of Cefuroxime if they have a creatinine clearance of below 30 mL/min. With the help of creatinine, it can be analysed how well your kidneys are working. The dosage should be consumed as suggested by the doctor.
- Is Cefuroxime Safe during Pregnancy?
Usually, Cefuroxime is safe during pregnancy. However, it is recommended to consult your doctor before taking any type of antibiotic during pregnancy. If you are breastfeeding, let your doctor know if Cefuroxime can cause any severe side effects in infants.
- How long does the Cefuroxime tablet take to start working?
Typically, doctors suggest consuming Cefuroxime for 5–10 days, every 12 hours. When you start taking the medication, it may take up to 48 hours before the symptoms start to improve. Along with Cefuroxime, the doctor may prescribe additional supportive medications (such as medications that lower stomach acids).
The blog shares information on Cefuroxime Axetil 500 mg uses, methods to use it along with side effects. Before using this medication, it is recommended to ask your doctor first because allergic people to this medication can experience some side effects. If you experience any side effects, then contact your doctor immediately. Moreover, you can get updates on health and fitness-related blogs by subscribing to Personal Care N Heal.