If you are looking for some effective methods to target your rear deltoids, then this blog is for you. From this blog, you will come to about what exactly rear delt is, what is its function, what are the best rear delt exercises and so on. Some people don’t care about their shoulder strength, but it is an extremely important part of your body. So, it is important to opt for rear delt dumbbell exercises. Keep reading this blog to know effective methods for shoulder growth. Let’s get started:
What is the Rear Delt?
The posterior deltoid is also known as the rear delt, which is the rear muscle of the three-headed delt muscle. The delt muscle is in a triangular shape, and it got this name because of its location, which is located in the back and the Greek letter delta, and its shape is like a triangle. It is over the glenohumeral joint making the rounded curve of the shoulder. The origin of the rear deltoid is at the inferior border of the scapula and spine with the addition in the delt tuberosity of the lateral humerus.
The Rear Delt Functions
The primary function of the rear delt is moving the shoulder horizontally where the shoulder is rotated internally when stretching the arms behind the hips. It is also helpful in rotating your shoulder externally. It is also involved in various pulling exercises, and it works as a stabilizer during pressing movements.
Benefits of Rear Delt Exercises with Dumbbells
If you perform this exercise with a dumbbell, then you can have various benefits such as gaining muscle mass and strength and enhancing the bone density of your shoulder. The following are some advantages of dumbbell rear delt exercises:
- Strong Shoulders
If you have strong rear delts, then it can boost the power of your shoulders providing you more stability and power when you perform compound lifts such as the deadlift, overhead press, or bench press. Strong rear delts can improve bodyweight exercises such as pushups and dips.
- Better Posture
Mostly, we spend our time either sitting for a long time staring at screens or working for long hours on the computer. By enhancing the power of the rear delts, your shoulders will help in tightening your upper back and help to improve your posture.
- Minimize the Risk of Shoulder Injury
When you work for the rear delts, then they will strengthen your shoulders and add muscle and as a result, it will minimize the risk of rotator cuff injuries. The rear delt exercises with dumbbells also need lighter weights so when you perform them, you don’t need to worry about injury because of pushing heavy loads.
- Better Looks
Training the rear delts can help in enhancing the overall look of your body. When you will have a straight upper back and improved posture, then it will have a positive impact on your look.
The Best Rear Delt Exercises for Mass
The following are some common exercises that can help you build shoulder strength and mass:
- Tabletop Reverse Pike
- Extend your legs while sitting on the floor. Place your palms on the floor behind and outside your hips.
- Now, lift your hips while pressing your palms to the floor and your knees should be at 90 degrees and your body should be parallel with the ground.
- Your arms should be straight directly under the shoulders and your ankles under the knees.
- Your abs must balance with your hands and heels.
- Maintain this position for a while.
- Crab Walk
This course will work for the upper arms, upper legs, shoulder, and core.
- Position your feet and hands on the floor with face up.
- Lift your hip off by tightening your gluteal muscles.
- Now, start walking by first moving your hands and after that your feet.
- Don’t strain your shoulders by moving your hands no more than 6 to 8 inches.
- High Reverse Plank
This exercise is good for your erector spine, hamstrings, posterior chain, and gluteus maximus.
- Extend your legs and sit on the ground. Place your palms behind and outside your hips.
- Lift your hips until your entire body is in a straight position. Keep your legs and arms straight with your face up.
- Pull your belly button back toward your spine.
- Hold this position for a while.
- Bent over Dumbbell Lateral Raise
- Sit at the end of the bench while having a pair of dumbbells.
- Hang the dumbbells on your sides when you bend forward.
- Now, raise the dumbbells on your side upper than your shoulders.
- After this, lower the dumbbell to its original position.
If you want to build shoulder strength and mass, then make sure you are performing training of the rear delt. You can follow the tips mentioned above for the best rear delt exercises for mass. Despite this, you will also come to know about the advantages of performing all these exercises. You can keep yourself updated with these types of blogs by subscribing to Personal Care N Heal.