What is World Environment Day 2022?
World Environment Day, which has been observed annually on June 5th since 1974 and is led by the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), is the greatest global forum for environmental public outreach and is celebrated by millions of people throughout the world. Sweden is hosting this year’s event.
History of World Environment Day 2022
The tagline for the first United Nations Conference on the Human Environment, held in Stockholm in 1972, was “Only One Earth.” As a result, sustainable development became a global priority, and World Environment Day was established. Sweden is hosting Stockholm+50 on the 2nd and 3rd of June, as well as World Environment Day on the 5th.
On this day, governments, citizens, and NGOs work to raise awareness about the importance of environmental conservation and the negative effects of human activity on the environment.
What is the Theme of World Environmental Day 2022?
Only One Earth will be the theme for World Environment Day 2022, underlining the importance of living sustainably in harmony with nature by driving transformative changes – through legislation and human choices – towards cleaner, greener lifestyles.
Nature is in a state of emergency as time runs out. To keep global warming at 1.5°C this century, annual greenhouse gas emissions must be cut in half by 2030. Without action, air pollution levels would exceed safe levels by 50% within a decade, and the amount of plastic debris entering aquatic environments will nearly triple by 2040.
To solve these critical concerns, we need to take immediate action, making “Only One Earth” and its focus on living sustainably in balance with nature as relevant as ever.
When World Environment Was First Celebrated?
The inaugural commemoration of the day took place in 1974 in the American city of Spokane.
Importance of Saving Environment
Saving energy helps to minimize pollution and greenhouse gas emissions. We can help to diminish global warming by dropping pollution in our environment. Let us keep the waters from rising and engulfing our shores. A growing number of organizations are springing up to save the planet from extinction.
The environment has a major impact on human health and life on the planet. Earth is home to a variety of living species, and we are all reliant on it for food, water, air, and other necessities. As a result, it is crucial for each of us to rescue and protect our environment.
How to Contribute to Save the Environment
Here are a few practical suggestions that you may apply as an individual to make a significant difference this World Environment Day.
- Water conservation not only helps to preserve our resources for future generations, but it can also help you save money on your water bill. There are a number of simple things you may do to conserve water.
- Showering for five minutes or only filling the bathtub one-quarter to one-third full.
- While brushing your teeth, turn off the water faucet.
- Putting a few filthy garments in the washing machine consumes more energy and wastes water. Wait until you have a full load of dirty clothing before operating your washer to save electricity and reduce waste.
- Dishwashers not only waste a lot of water, but they also waste a lot of electricity heating the water. By just washing full loads, you may expect to save an average of $40.00 on your expenses and avoid over 100 pounds (45 kg) of carbon pollution each year.
- Install low-flow faucets or faucet aerators in your kitchen and bathroom sinks, as well as low-flow shower heads and toilets in all of your bathrooms. A low-flow showerhead can cost as little as $10.00 and save you up to 50% on your water usage.
- Solar panels produce clean electricity without using water and do not pollute the air. It aids in the fight against climate change and has a favorable impact on human health.
- Consider how your purchase will affect other people and the environment before making a purchase. This can be as easy as purchasing a complete jar of peanut butter rather than individual servings, or as complex as determining which vehicle is the most environmentally friendly. But don’t get too worked up—start small.
We truly hope that you got all the information regarding World Environment Day 2022. Personal Care N Heal also offers more information regarding health, food, mental health, fitness, cycling, etc., which you can read for the betterment of your life.