Ankita Konwar Performs Ustrasana on the Beach
Ankita Konwar, like her husband Milind Soman, leads and enjoys an active and healthy lifestyle. She frequently posts and messages on Instagram about fitness, health and well-being, and the importance of staying active.
One of her most recent photographs emphasizes that she highly promotes yoga. Konwar believes in stretching and doing yoga wherever she is and she was on the beach during the recent post she uploads on Instagram.
“Ustrasana on the river bank. #camelpose #ustrasana #keepmoving #yogapractice #yogaeverywhere,” the fitness enthusiast captioned it.
She managed to master Ustrasana, a difficult yoga pose. Also known as Camel Pose, it entails kneeling and bending backward to touch the heels with the hands, as shown in the photo.
The asana stretches the muscles throughout the body, from the neck to the spine and legs. It can provide relief from neck and (lower) back pain caused by slouching and working long hours in front of a computer or while driving if practised on a daily basis.
How to Do Camel Pose (Ustrasana Yoga)
- Kneel on your yoga mat with your hands on your hips.
- The soles of your feet should face the ceiling and your knees should be in line with your shoulders.
- Draw your tailbone in towards your pubis as you inhale, as if being pulled from the navel.
- Arc your back while sliding your palms over your feet until your arms are straight.
- Maintain a neutral position for your neck by not straining or flexing it.
- Hold this position for several breaths.
- Exhale and slowly return to the starting position. As you straighten up, withdraw your hands and bring them back to your hips.
What are the Benefits of Ustrasana Yoga?
Physical Benefits of Ustrasana Yoga
- It improves digestion.
- It opens and stretches the front of the body. It also makes the back and shoulders stronger.
- It relieves the body from lower back ache.
- It enhances the flexibility of the spine and also improves posture.
- It also assists to overcome menstrual discomfort.
- It stimulates the organs of the neck and abdomen.
- It stretches the deep hip flexors of the body.
Emotional Benefits of Ustrasana Yoga
- Respiratory ailments.
- Removes mild backache.
- It helps to overcome fatigue problem.
- It is beneficial to reduce anxiety disorders.
Common Mistakes While Doing Ustrasana Yoga
Do Not Keeping Your Thighs Upright
Keeping the thighs upright is one of the most common problems in camels. You want to make sure that your thighs do not follow the chest back and end up slanting back instead of remaining fully vertical. Take your pose to a wall to see if this is the case. Set up with your front thighs against the wall. Make sure your thighs and even your hip points are in contact with the wall the entire time as you reach back.
Not Reaching Your Heels
When you pay attention to your thigh position, you might notice that you cannot reach your heels as easily. If this is the case, try one of the heel variations listed below to adjust your grip. This is an excellent exercise for beginners and advanced level learners.
Safety and Precautions of Ustrasana Yoga
If you have an injury or a chronic problem with your shoulders, knees, neck, or back, you should avoid Ustrasana Yoga or Camel Pose.
Do not force your body into the pose until it is flexible enough to do so comfortably. Only bend back as far as your body allows. You will gradually increase your flexibility to achieve the pose with continued practise.