The brain is the most essential part of the human body same as other parts of the body. However, at the same time, the human brain is vulnerable to various problems. A blood clot in brain can be deadly to someone if it is not treated on time as it can lead to brain stroke or brain attack. Clotting is important to prevent blood loss when you get injured or have a cut somewhere on your body.
A problem arises when a clot forms inside your body in your veins because that clot may not dissolve on its own. It can be dangerous for your life. A blood clot may not harm you unless it starts moving. If a blood clot starts moving in your veins, then it can reach your heart and lungs, and it can get stuck and stop blood flow. In this case, you need a medical emergency.
What is a Blood Clot in Brain?
When a blood clot forms in your brain that means blood is not flowing to your brain properly, and it can lead to brain stroke. Your blood has several elements such as gases, protein, cells, and nutrients that move via your veins like an elaborate and complex highway system.
If there is anything that stops the flow of blood, then it tends to have a blood clot. Now, the thrombus may break and enter the veins, forming the embolus. Now, the formation of thrombus and embolus flow to your brain can cause various symptoms in your body.
Causes of Blood Clot in Brain
- Trauma or head injuries can cause clots to form in the brain. Blood clots form in the brain when bleeding occurs between the brain and skull. The body will create a clot to prevent bleeding, and it puts pressure on surrounding brain tissue.
- Ischemic stroke occurs when the brain’s vessels get blocked and reduce blood flow. Fatty deposits cause narrowed or blocked blood vessels, and these fatty deposits form blood clots.
- A hemorrhagic stroke happens when leakage of blood vessels occur. Brain hemorrhages can be caused by various conditions that may affect your blood vessels.
Symptoms of Blood Clot in Brain
You should pay attention to yourself or someone that has symptoms of blood clotting in the brain. At the time the symptoms start growing, you should contact a healthcare professional as soon as possible to prevent more health problems. The following are symptoms of a blood clot in the head that you should look for yourself or someone and take medical help:
- Blurry Vision
You may undergo blurry or blackened vision in one or both eyes. Or, you may see double with one or both eyes. Sudden blurriness can occur in your vision.
- Speech Impairment
Speech impairment or a problem in speaking is another indicator of having a blood clot in your head. You will experience difficulty in speaking and when you speak, and then your words may be slurry that will be difficult to understand.
- Difficulty in Eating or Drinking
You may experience problems in eating or drinking if an embolus or thrombus forms in your bloodstream. You will experience difficulty in swallowing drinks and foods.
Sudden headache might be a natural indicator of brain hazard. You may also feel other symptoms alongside headache like feeling dizzy or about to vomit.
- Face Paralysis
Your face may get paralyzed on one side of your body during a brain stroke. One side of your mouth or your legs and arms get paralyzed during a brain stroke.
- Partial Paralysis
The body may get partial paralyzed during a brain stroke. When the brain stops working, then humans may lose the sense of body balance.
All of the above are symptoms of blood clot in brain and if you experience these symptoms, then contact a healthcare professional.
There are many factors that can increase the risk of stroke such as:
- Physical inactivity
- Binge drinking
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
- Family history of stroke
Blood Clot in Brain Treatment
- If you or someone has had an ischemic stroke, a combination of medicines can be used. Some of these medicines are required to consume for a short period of time and can be started immediately. However, some medicines only are started once the brain stroke has been treated.
- With the help of injections of medicine known as alteplase, Ischemic stroke can be treated that dissolves blood clots and allows easy blood flow to the brain.
- Thrombectomy is effective in treating ischemic stroke, which is caused by a blood lump in a large artery in the head.
- Many people are asked to consume aspirin that can minimize the chances of another blood lump forming.
- Anticoagulants can prevent the development of new blood clots in the future.
- Apart from the above medications, surgery may be recommended to remove blood lumps from the brain.
Blood clots must be treated as soon as they are diagnosed because later on, they can cause serious harm to you. If you have a blood clot in any body part, then it is recommended to seek medical help. If you experience all of the above symptoms of having a blood lump in your head, then you should go for a blood clot in brain treatment as soon as possible. Medications mentioned above will be consumed only after recommended by your doctor.