The name of ash gourd will change when a region or country changes. For instance, the name of ash gourd in Tamil will be different from the name of ash gourd in Hindi, English, or other languages.
What is Ash Gourd in Tamil?
Ash gourd is a vegetable, and in botanical name, it is known as Benignosa hispida, which is usually eaten in China and India. Ash gourd in Tamil is known as சாம்பல் பூசணிக்காய். In Asian cuisine, it is chopped into small pieces and added to the soup. Apart from this, ash gourd is also known as gray pumpkin due to its gray waxy element that develops when seeds develop.
Ash Gourd Nutrition Facts
Ash gourd consists of 96% of water and low in calories, protein, fat, and carbs. However, it is rich in fiber and offers nutrients for your body. The chart is given below shows nutritional facts of ash gourd (100 grams):
- Protein: less than 1 gram
- Calories: 13
- Fiber: 3g
- Fat: less than 1g
- Vitamin C: 14% of the Daily Value (DV)
- Zinc: 6% DV
- Riboflavin: 8% DV
Ash gourd contains a low amount of iron, phosphorus, magnesium, and copper. White pumpkin is a good source of carotenes and flavonoids.
Different Names of Ash Gourd
The following list shows the different names of the ash gourd in different languages:
- Ash gourd in English: Ash gourd
- Ash gourd in Tamil: சாம்பல் பூசணிக்காய் or neer poosanikai
- Telugu: Boodidha gummmadi kaaya
- Malayalam: Kumbalanga
- Ash gourd in Hindi: Pethakaddu
- Gujrati: Petha
- Punjabi: Petha
- Kannada: Budugumbala
- Bengali: Chal Kumro
- Assamese: Komora
Ash Gourd Meaning in Tamil (Appearance)
Ash gourd develops on a vine and turns into a round or oval that looks the same as watermelon. When ripe, its exterior changes into a powdery ash-colored this is the reason why it is known as ash gourd. In the below section ash gourd in Tamil is explained:
Ash gourd meaning in Tamil:
சாம்பல் சீமை சுரைக்காய் ஒரு கொடியின் மீது வளர்ந்து ஒரு தர்பூசணி போன்ற ஒரு வட்டமாக அல்லது ஓவலாக மாறும். பழுத்த போது, அதன் வெளிப்புறம் ஒரு தூள் சாம்பல் நிறமாக மாறும், அதனால்தான் இது சாம்பல் சீமை சுரைக்காய் என்று அழைக்கப்படுகிறது.
Ash Gourd Taste and Use
When it comes to taste, it has a little bit of taste like cucumber, but usually, it doesn’t have any flavor. Therefore, you can add it to salads, juice, and jellies in summer. During the winter season, you can add honey or black pepper.
How to Make Ash Gourd Juice?
Follow the steps written below to make ash gourd juice:
- Peel-off and cut ash gourd or white gourd. Make sure to peel-off the skin of ash gourd.
- Take a blender and blend pieces of ash gourd consistently. If it is thick, and then add water to it.
- Try to avoid adding sugar to the juice. Once the juice is ready, strain it and drink fresh. Even you can add leaves of mint for freshness.
Consuming ash gourd juice is very beneficial for your health, especially if you consume it early in the morning.
- Ash gourd juice can drain out all the toxins and germs from your body. Components of ash gourd consist of calcium, iron, vitamin C, and phosphorus. Before you make ash gourd juice, make sure to remove yellow seed from it.
- If you are suffering from a constipation problem, then you can consume it to relieve the constipation problem.
- You can combine ash gourd juice with coconut milk to relieve gastroenteric worms. It also helps in promoting the growth of tissues.
- If you are underweight, then consuming ash gourd juice benefits
- Ash gourd juice benefits you by boosting metabolism and curing anorexia.
- To prevent kidney stones and support daily kidney and bladder tasks, you can consume ash gourd juice.
- Some people suffer from nose bleeding during summer, so you can drink this juice to prevent internal bleeding.
Side Effects of Ash Gourd Juice
If you are consuming ash gourd juice within the limit, then it will not affect you. However, consuming it in excess can lead to worse effects. For overweight people, it is not good if you intake it in excess. If you are taking it in winter, then it can increase cough, which can be harmful to the asthma patient. If you are suffering from fever, then try to avoid the consumption of ash gourd juice.
Ash gourd or white pumpkin contains low calories, but rich in water, fiber, and other nutrients. Ash gourd is used to treat several health problems such as improving digestion, cure jaundice, soothe stomach ulcers, and controlling type-2 diabetes. However, excess use of ash gourd can lead to some health problems.