The East culture came to us with yoga. It has been practiced throughout the world since earlier times, used for purifying the mind and strengthening the body. But is it possible to lose weight with its help? From this viewpoint, let us discuss yoga: there are contraindications, how to do them properly in order to lose weight, simple yoga poses.
How to do yoga to Lose Weight?
Overweight people want unwanted weights to be removed as quickly as possible. Therefore, they are looking for effective yoga courses for slimness, a flat stomach, waist, various home workouts and more. The main goal of the practices is not this. They teach a person to deal with internal problems. Often, they lead to stress, seizing, overeating. Sometimes weight management specialists may recommend to adopt specific breathing strategies or asanas.
Nevertheless, services like these are also applied to a psychologist’s important research.
The discipline has 5 basic principles:
Where to Start?
• Talk to a specialist. Should I add yoga to the path of weight loss? Could that be done, for example, for knee discomfort, leg, neck with other health problems? Does contraindications arise? Only a doctor can answer. Fitness instructors do not have the necessary qualifications.
• Decide on time: allocate 10-20 minutes in the morning or 30-40 in the evening.
• Choose a comfortable shape. It should be pleasant to the body, comfortable, not restrict movement.
• To study the relevant literature. Basic postures, principles, definitions, breathing practices.
• Watch educational videos, breathing lessons, analysis of typical mistakes while performing asanas, etc.
• Enlist the support of like-minded people.
An important role is played by the situation. If classes take place at home, you can conduct them by candlelight, incense, soft, melodious music.
Best Weight Loss Asanas
There are many asanas for the correction of the abdomen and hips. We have chosen the most effective and at the same time the most simple exercises for weight loss that even beginners can perform. All you need is time, comfortable clothing, and most importantly, motivation. You have the motivation for sure, because spring is ahead. Even the busiest will succeed in finding 10-30 minutes.
1. Utkatasana ( Chair Pose) – For Hips
This asana for weight loss is also called the posture of the chair.
- Stand straight and connect the feet.
- Bend your knees and sit on a chair.
- Raise straight arms along the ears. Palms draw inward.
- The tailbone is directed downward, with your hands reaching forward and upward.
- Keep your back as straight as possible.
- Remain in this position for 10-30 seconds.
Utkasana helps to improve back and abs muscles. Make the stomach more flat, helps to balance breathing. This asana is perfect for dropping weight in hips. make sure feet are “glued” to the ground and your back straight.
Perform this exercise every day for 10-20 sets.
2. Paripurna Navasana ( Boat Pose) – For Beautiful Belly
This asana for a flat stomach and weight loss is also called “full boat pose.” It is performed as follows:
- Sit on the floor with your knees bent with your feet flat.
- Tilt your straight back.
- Raise your straight legs.
- Stretch your straight arms parallel to the floor, palms facing inward.
- Hold in this position for up to 30 seconds. Return to starting position and repeat again.
Dreaming of a flat stomach? Then Paripurna Navasana is what you need. This powerful exercise for weight loss is also suitable for general recovery. At first it will be difficult to perform the asana, but over time a sense of balance will come.
3. Universal Asana of Halasana
Asana Halasana – Plow Pose. Perform it like this:
- Lie on your back. Stretch your straight arms behind your head.
- Pull your knees to your chest, straighten your legs and wrap them behind your head.
- Grasp your toes or feet with your palms.
- Stay in this position for up to 10 seconds, maximally straightening your legs, arms and back.
- Do 20-30 sets. Increase the number of repetitions over time.
Halasana has a strengthening effect for the muscles of the back and abs. If you want to use it for weight loss, then do it at your own pace. It will be convenient for someone to do quick swings with their feet behind their heads and return to their original position, while others will be more comfortable staying in halasan for 20 seconds or more. After a week of training, the stomach will become flatter.
4. Jathara Parivartanasana – Attention to the Press
Twisting in a prone position – this is how the yogis describe the asana. Jathara Parivartanasana is also used by those who decide to do weight loss. It is performed in this way:
- Lie on your back, stretch your legs.
- Spread straight arms to the sides, palms up.
- Lift your straight legs at an angle of 90 degrees, socks pulled over.
- Lower your legs to your left hand, turn your head to the right, linger in this position for 10 seconds.
- Return to the starting position and repeat twisting to the other side.
- Try not to touch your feet on the floor while twisting and do not tear your back and arms off the floor.
Asana is great for training the internal and external oblique muscles of the abdomen, but it also captures two other groups of abs muscles. This yoga exercise contributes to intense weight loss if performed in combination with other asanas.
5. Kumbhakasana or Plank Pose
This asana is a “plank” known to everyone since childhood. It is performed as follows:
- Get on your knees and rest your palms on the floor at shoulder level.
- Take your feet back, straighten your legs.
- Stay in this position for up to 30 seconds, keeping your back straight and your stomach tucked in.
- Return to the starting position and repeat the exercise 10-20 times.
Kumbhakasana is the perfect weight loss asana. This bar should be achieved not just on the side, but also on the cobblestones or also the arms twisted tight to the chest (like when the floor is pushed).
6. Prasarita Padottanasana Pose
- It is necessary to take a standing position.
- Legs spread wide, wider than shoulders.
- Clasp your hands behind your back, tilt forward from your hips.
- Hold in a pose for about 20 seconds, slowly rise.
If the position is occupied correctly, tension will appear around the hips.
7. Low Lunge Forward Pose (Anjaneasana)
- Suitable for stretching the front of the thigh.
- Starting position – kneeling. On exhalation, you need to take your left leg as far back as possible, halfway.
- The main thing is that the right knee should be at an angle of 90 degrees.
- Hold the pose for 30 seconds, after which they change the leg.
It should be considered that attending the classes on the regular basis will lead to success for sure. After even few days of training, the results will be translucent. You will notice that your stomach will be more athletic and flat than before, and your hips will get tightened. The good results are also the extraction of basic disciplines that must be promoted in the routine like diet, meditation etc.
Pregnancy is not the right time for you to lose weight. You must talk to yoga trainer to know which are the best yoga poses during pregnancy you can perform and you must learn the method to do so. Also, be careful not to strain your neck. Do not expect the instant results, weight loss is the slow process in yoga and efficient too. As in the first trimester there are risks of miscarriages. This is the time when embryo implantation takes place. So, certain yoga poses to avoid during pregnancy like deep twists and other poses that leads to influence the implantation process.
Also, Check Out